Saturday, October 17, 2009

4 More Forks


I managed to miter and weld up 4 more forks. In the pic, 2 Fat Yo's and 2 Fat Big One Inch. I am glad they are off my plate, so that I can focus on a couple of frames that I have been looking forward to knocking out. I have a TI frame that still needs a rear triangle, and then onto Ron S.'s steel 29er hardtail.
On another note, there has been a lot of chat on the frame building forums about frame jigs, and I still feel that I have the best jig for set up, rigidity, and accuracy. If a customer wants a 70.5 degree head tube, I loosen 2 bolts, drop in a pin and tighten the 2 bolts. I can set up any geometry in just a couple of minutes, so that I can spend my time fabricating a killer frame. Most other builders only tack their frames in the jig, and weld it out of the jig. I weld as much of the frame in the jig that I can reach, approx 85%. Others will tell you that creates internal stresses in the welds. B.S. I have done this with 800 plus frames and have never had a failure. I can tell you that post welding alignment is almost never needed. I fear that the guys welding out of the jig have to do so much cold setting to get alignment that the frame is compromised or still has memory and will someday move back to the unaligned state. Just something I need to say here, didn't need a bunch of guys on the forum, who never built a frame, to tell me they know better.
Cheers,
Hub

No comments:

Post a Comment